Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Malcolm The Next Step, Bringing Conscious Back


This year will be the 48th year of the passing of Malcolm X and Last Poets 45th Anniversary!
I have been moved this year to want to pay homage to Malcolm and the Last Poets because I think we should re-examine what the next step was if Malcolm was living for people of color.  Many of our youth are infected with the illusion that its all about the benjamins which really points towards an individualized way of thinking.  Dr. Jeffries has pointed out out on many occasions that its a western way of thinking and that we as Black people have to think collectively as a community.  I strongly believe that Dr. Jeffries has a good point because as I interact with the youth that is their main ideology of thinking.  How much money and materialistic shyt can I obtain to let folks know I have arrived. I ask them over and over arrived at what?  Even my own Sun, Versace is smitten by this same type of propaganda which I will challenge everyday of my life till he gets it.
My friends and colleagues also believe that there should be some type of panel discussion around the issue of what do we now as people of color? How do we move forward and progress and leave all the stigmas behind.  What is our responsibility to our community? How do we survive in a failing economy? 

I think most folks who want change have the issue of how do we make money in our community and also be conscious. How does the revolution put food on my table? That is a great question.
I think what people fail to realize is that they can't conquer without having a plan and a team.  I believe that in the 70's made the LAST POETS so strong is that had a voice that encouraged people to think and be unique to think outside of the box.  They were revolutionaries by using their voice and music to inspire and get the message out there for revolution.  The issue today is what revolution are we fighting is the 99% occupy against corporate banks, is it against the NRA for gun control?   It seems to me we have so many issues but if we go back in history just thirty years back they had a reason for revolution. Where did Malcolm leave off? Can we as a community pick up where Malcolm left off?

"Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything.  They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about change".                                                   Malcolm X, Malcom X Speaks 1965


The LAST POETS featuring Bootsy Collins

Live from Filmstress Row...This is the Filmstress!




No comments:

Post a Comment